The Legal Education Appeals Tribunal is established under Section 29(1) the Legal Education Act No. 27 of 2012 [Rev.2015].
Mandate and jurisdiction
The jurisdiction of the Legal Education Appeals Tribunal is derived from Section 31 of the Legal Education Act which states that
(1) The Tribunal shall, upon an appeal made to it in writing by any party or a reference made to it by the Council or by any committee or officer of the Council, on any matter relating to this Act, inquire into the matter and make a finding thereupon, and notify the parties concerned.
(2) For the purposes of hearing an appeal, the Tribunal shall have all the powers of the High Court to summon witnesses, to take evidence on oath or affirmation and to call for the production of books and other documents.
(3) Where the Tribunal considers it desirable for the purposes of avoiding expenses, delay or for any other special reasons, it may receive evidence by affidavit and administer interrogatories within the time specified by the Tribunal.
(4) When determining any matter before it, the Tribunal may take into consideration any evidence, which it considers relevant to the subject of an appeal before it, notwithstanding that such evidence, would not otherwise be admissible under the law relating to evidence
MEMBERSHIP AND QUORUM TRIBUNALS
Section 29(1) of the Legal Education Act No. 27 of 2012 [Rev.2015] states that the Legal Education Appeals Tribunal shall consist of
- a) a chairperson who shall be— (i) an advocate of the High Court of Kenya of not less than ten years standing; or (ii) a person who has attained at least ten years experience in the field of legal education or as a distinguished academic in law;
(b) one person who shall be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya of at least seven years standing or a person with at least ten years experience in the field of legal education or as a distinguished academic in law;
(c) three persons who have demonstrated competence in the field of legal education; and
(d) the registrar who shall be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya with at least five years experienceT
It is located at the Tribunals’ Secretariat, 12th Floor, Reinsurance Plaza, Taifa Road, Nairobi