The Energy and Petroleum Tribunal is established under Section 25 of the Energy Act, No. 1 of 2019, Laws of Kenya.
Number of members of the Tribunal
- it is composed of seven (7) members, inclusive of the Chairperson.
Quorum of the Tribunal
- Three (3) members including the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairperson as the case may be.
The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and members of the Tribunal shall be appointed at different times so that the respective expiry dates of their terms office shall fall at different times.
The mandate of the Tribunal is to hear and determine;
- disputes between a licensee and a third party;
- disputes between licensees;
- appeals against decisions of Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (‘the Authority’) and any licensing authority; and
- any matter referred to it relating to the energy and petroleum sector arising under the Act.
- General Public;
- Oil marketing companies; and
- Independent power producer